Eclipse is a one-person IT consulting company located in the greater Philadelphia area and serving the
financial services industry. Our focus is on broker/dealers, commercial banks, investment banks, and insurance companies.
Eclipse specializes in complex mid- and
back-office financial applications, including:
- Trade and transaction processing.
- Clearance and settlement.
- Trade date and settlement date ledger and stock record.
- Financing activities.
- Profit & loss calculation.
This is an area of particular expertise; see Inventory and Trading P&L.
- Accrued interest and coupon payments (see Coupon Interest and Day Count Conventions).
- Commercial loan processing (including syndications and loan facilities).
- Market risk management, particularly interest rate risk. A particular strength is cash flow and income projections.
Our value is based on the combination of skills and experience we provide. It is extremely rare to find this combination in a single group. These are the key drivers:
- Understanding of the business at a fundamental level. We understand the financial industry and securities processing. You won't have to explain what a swaption, repo, or loan syndication is, or spend time going over CNS processing, realized vs. unrealized trading P&L, or the stock record.
- Project organization and management. Knowledge and experience require effective organization to be productive. This applies to projects as a whole, phases and tasks, and the individual deliverables. This is particularly true with regard to software development methodologies.
- Information Technology. We are a software consulting firm. IT is what we do.
- Accomplishment. We have been working with financial firms for 30 years. We have successfully accomplished projects for major firms as well as developing software products marketed within the industry.
- Commitment. We stand behind our work. We prefer all our work to be done on a fixed-fee basis: less risk for you and a simpler working relationship for both of us. It is our successful background that enables us to offer this.
Financial firms we've worked with include:
- MetLife (Investments and Corporate Risk Management)
- Jefferies and Company
- UBS Fixed Income Prime Brokerage (particularly MBS)
- J P Morgan Chase (retail banking operations)
- Societe Generale and SG Cowen (brokerage and commercial lending)
- J P Morgan (corporate and equities trading)
- NatWest Markets (Primary broker/dealer operations and capital markets)
Eclipse has end-to-end experience with business application software, including both project management and hands-on development. Our services include:
- Project assessment.
- Functional analysis and requirements definition.
- Data and process modeling.
- Definition of the application software architecture.
- Data analysis and logical database design.
- Physical database design.
- Software development.
- Application testing strategies: unit, integration, and user acceptance.
- Software validation.
- IT and end-user training.
The majority of our work is in the early processes, from project assessment through data analysis and logical design.
Through our work in the finance industry we have developed these areas of expertise.
- U.S. Treasury and Agency issues.
- Corporate bonds.
- Global debt and equity instruments.
- Financial options and futures.
- Retail and commercial mortgage-backed securities.
- Asset-backed securities.
- Collateralized mortgage obligations.
- Swaps (FX and interest-rate) and swaptions.
- Caps and floors.
- Short-term notes (bid notes).
- Medium-term loans.
- Firm and customer trades, with complete figuration.
- Repurchase agreements.
- Commercial loans.
- Corrections and cancellations.
- Repricings and rate changes.
- Syndications and participations.
- Pair-offs and roll-overs.
- Loans and sold funds.
- Coupon payments.
- Redemptions and conversions.
- Assignments and expirations.
- Full and partial settlement.
- Trade entry.
- Maintaining trade date and settlement date inventory.
- Full stock record.
- Profit and loss calculation: realized, unrealized, amortization / accretion.
- Bond interest accrual.
- Funding income and expense.
- Risk management, particularly market risk.
- Calculation of trade and position analytics.
- Database: logical design, physical design, stored procedures. This is at the core of what Eclipse offers.
- Application design.
- Procedural programming.
- Report design and development.
- Job scripting and control.
- Software development methodologies.
This remainder of this website has been built as a reference for those designing and implementing securities-based applications for the financial industry.
A guide to the site can be found at the page Site Information. The functional components are discussed under the Architecture Road Map. A Learning Guide is also provided for those interested in a greater understanding and approaches to implementation.
We welcome questions, comments, and suggestions: e-mail can be sent to Inquiries@eclipsesoftware.biz.
Eclipse Software, Inc.
908 Greenhill Avenue
Wilmington, DE 19805-2640
Copyright 2005-2018, Eclipse Software, Inc (ESI). E-mail: WebSite@eclipsesoftware.biz.